Starting a kitchen remodel is an exciting process, but getting started can also be daunting. Learning how to remodel a kitchen can be overwhelming — it’s hard to figure out where to begin!
That’s why hiring an expert remodeling company (like Magnet Remodeling!) can be super helpful in planning your kitchen remodel.
So, first things first: start with dreaming up and brainstorming your ideas for your ultimate kitchen.
Pre-Planning: Why You Should Dream and Brainstorm First
What do you want your dream kitchen to look like?
Think about that as well as your budget. Start a Pinterest board to organize your design inspiration.
- Do you want to completely redo your existing kitchen?
- Add or take out walls?
- Or do you want to just replace the countertops and paint your cabinets?
Make a list of all of your ideas to guide you in this process.
What is your motivation for redoing your kitchen?
Think about the reasons you want to remodel your kitchen.
- More space?
- Updating out of date fixtures and cabinets?
- Brightening up your space?
Make a list of all of your motivations to guide you in this process.
Make a list of what must be done and what is nice to have.
It is important to prioritize what needs to be done versus items that are not really needed (but still wanted!).
Your must-haves are the upgrades you can’t live without. The nice-to-haves are things that you want, but might be impractical for you at this moment due to cost or other conflicting factors.
1. Make a Checklist
After you dream a bit, you need to start putting things on paper. A checklist can keep you on task and remind you of the steps you need to take.
With our Ultimate Home Renovation Planning Checklist, you can simplify your planning process and keep your home renovation project on track. Plus, we’ve thrown in some helpful tips you’re not going to want to miss.
2. Make a Budget
Big or small changes both require a budget.
- Know how much money you have to spend and research the cost of each item.
- Remember to think about extra costs like electric and plumbing work.
- Set a realistic budget to meet your goals.
3. Make a List of “Must-Haves”
It is imperative to have a list of your “must-haves” when beginning a kitchen renovation project. Once you have identified what you can’t live without, make a second list of the items that are “nice-to-haves.” You can use the Ultimate Home Renovation Planning Checklist to start your list.
How to Remodel a Kitchen—Step-by-Step
Once you have your “must-haves” list and budget ready, you need a step-by-step plan to remodel your kitchen. Here’s the 4 step process for remodeling your kitchen.
1. Planning A Kitchen Remodel
Planning is an important first step. Timelines can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on what your needs are. Here are some of the basic first steps to planning a kitchen remodel.
- Measure your space. It is important to have very detailed measurements for your kitchen remodel. This is where we come in! We’d be happy to help you get an accurate measurement of your kitchen space.
- Decide on your cabinet design and possibly order samples. The style of your cabinets will inform every aspect of your kitchen remodel, from countertops to flooring.
- Talk with a kitchen designer at Magnet Remodeling. We will help you finalize your dream design and get final planning details in order!
2. Order Products for Your Kitchen Remodel
Next, order all the materials needed to get started on your kitchen remodel. If possible, wait until all the materials arrive before you start work on your kitchen.
- Appliances—work together with your designer to make sure the appliances will fit perfectly within your kitchen remodel design.
- Cabinets—after your final design and appliances are chosen, order your cabinets.
- Countertops—often the countertop cannot be measured until your cabinets are installed, but it is best to have a countertop material already chosen — be ready to have the measurement process begin shortly after cabinet installation.
- Complementary products—these include flooring, hardware, backsplash tile, sink, lighting, faucets, and more.
When your new products arrive, make sure you inspect them to verify you’ve received the correct items. Establish a place in your garage or in your home where the products can be stored as work progresses on your kitchen remodel.
In addition, you need to prepare for the time your kitchen will be unusable. Setting up a small temporary kitchen with a mini-refrigerator and microwave is one solution.
You can also plan to use an outdoor grill, bring in take-out, or adjust your budget for eating out while work is being done in your kitchen.
Lastly, before work gets started, you’ll need to pack up all the items in your kitchen. Make sure that items you will need in your temporary kitchen space are still accessible!
3. Construction Time for Your Kitchen Remodel
This is where things really start coming together for your dream kitchen! During this part of the process, hiring experts to guide you through is extremely beneficial and will take a lot of stress off your shoulders.
We’re here to help. We’ve been serving Orlando for over 15 years and have all the expertise and experience to put together the kitchen of your dreams.
Here’s what the timeline might look like as the professionals get to work:
- Demolish your kitchen
- Make structural changes
- Complete plumbing, mechanical and electrical work
- Install drywall and paint
- Install flooring
- Install cabinets
- Measure, fabricate, and install countertops
- Install appliances and fixtures
- Complete finishing details, install hardware and backsplash
- Clean up after construction is complete
4. Enjoy Your Dream Kitchen!
The work is done and now it’s time to finally enjoy your dream kitchen! Unpack and get ready to show it off at your next dinner party!
Why Hire Magnet Remodeling for a Kitchen Remodel?
Having a remodeling company will save you time and money! Hiring the right remodeling company is an essential first step in your kitchen remodel. Magnet Remodeling is Orlando’s premier home remodeling company — we do everything from partial kitchen updates to full kitchen remodels!